Donate

Saturday 29 July 2017

Cap in Hand

Here I am, making a plea of sorts.

I have alluded to and on a couple of occasions actually asked people to stream my music excessively.
Isn't that illegal?
Well in a world where you can set up a business with more links than the sausages in Punch and Judy in order to avoid paying tax, all bets are off until someone actually stops you doing something.
Here's the thing, I'm never going to get rich from my music, and rightly so, because it's quite shit, but I have a plan.
Someone suggested, perhaps as a joke, that I should play at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and it got me thinking that maybe I could do something like that.
It would involve learning to play songs properly that I have only ever played once when recording them and it would involve writing some new stuff, given that my entire back catalogue totals little more than half an hour.
Obviously doing this would incur a great deal of expense because nobody in their right mind would pay for a guy with a ukulele to travel to Scotland and put him up in a bed and breakfast.
I've heard crowdfunding is all the rage these days for enabling people to achieve something they don't want to pay for and this is what I'm trying to do now.
The great part about it is I'm not actually asking anyone for any money. Except the streaming companies.
I'm sure many of you already pay a monthly subscription for a music streaming service and even if you don't there are free versions of some of them available if you can stomach adverts every three songs.
So here's what I would like you all to do: stream as much Uke Hunts as possible. Put it on repeat while you sleep with the sound turned down on your computer.
Here are the places I know about where it can be streamed:

Google Play Music – they only have The Tricky Number Two, but it is the best stuff I've ever done and Google pay the most per stream.
Tidal – it might be owned by Jay-Z, but that's the least of his 99 problems. They offer the service free for a month too, which is nice.
Deezer – the full catalogue is available here.
Spotify – 500+ listeners can't be wrong. Well, they can, but that's ok. Join them.
Apple Music – if you're on EE you might be able to get 6 months of this for free. If not Apple will give you 3 months free anyway.
There are probably others too. Let me know if you find me anywhere else.

So please choose one or more of these services and stream the shit out of any and all of my music. Tell your friends, your families, your enemies, your postman, anyone you can think of.
I probably need about 10 million plays to finance this proposed event, but if it comes off there might even be a chance to record an album properly or do a real tour of sorts.
And what do you get in return?
Well, that's a good question. I suppose if you can somehow prove you've streamed any of my music excessively there could be some kind of t-shirt/CD giveaway kind of thing for the top 5 heavy-hitting streamers or something like that.
Thanks everyone.

Stay tuned, uke hunters.

You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Oh and all this shit is available from Amazon too:


No comments:

Post a Comment