Donate

Friday 16 February 2018

Please Release Me




In case you didn’t know, because I’m the shy, retiring type who doesn’t like to bang on about things, I’ve got a new album out. 

 
I’m not going to be old fashioned and call it a record as it doesn’t exist in any physical form, unless someone pirates it. I’m also not going to tell you that I’ve “dropped some new tunes,” because, well, I’m not a prick.
The album is called The Day After Tomorrow Is the Third Day of the Rest of Your Life. Catchy, huh?
In the absence of any serious muso types taking on the task I’m going to review it right here for you. I will do this in a very unbiased way, but I have to tell you that it’s fucking excellent, easily the best work I’ve ever done.
So here goes.
The Start of the Same Old Rubbish is a very tongue in cheek commentary on how I don’t take myself too seriously. I’m kidding, it’s crap, but the only way is up from the bottom, right?
Everyone’s experienced problems with technology before and Printer is my take on the infuriation of technology biting us in the arse when we least want it, which is never.
Numerous trips to the cinema and several written rants about the subject inspired Movies. This song is dedicated to the absolute shysters who run my local cinema in Beverley.
Local Hero isn’t about a real hero at all and is about a man I see walking around town a lot. He pushes one of those old shopping basket/trolley things that your gran probably used to have with him everywhere he goes and I imagine it’s full of fish and chips as he’s always outside the chippy waiting for them to open.
Remember Friends? The One About those People off that Programme on the Telly will give you a quick 30 second recap in case you don’t.
Rip Off is a proper angry rant about the cost of everything. Am I getting old and bitter? Yes. Next!
I’d never done a blues song before so Third Album Blues seemed like a good way to totally spoil that particular genre for anyone who might be a fan of it.
You never hear any Easter songs, do you? Until now. The Easteriest Things might well be the first one and I anticipate it being a huge hit, apart from the fact that it heavily mocks religion. Oh well. Yes, it’s very much like My Favourite Things from The Sound of Music, but I don’t think anybody will notice that.
Ukulele Group takes a swipe at one ukulele group in particular. It’s not likely to win me any friends in the scene, particularly in York. Oh, I’ve said too much.
There always has to be an instrumental track on one of my albums and Another Bloody Instrumental? ticks that box. I’m strangely proud of this song and it will probably be most listeners’ least favourite as there’s no swearing in it. On the plus side it gives you a little break from hearing my “singing”.
Phoning It In brings everything to a close and there’s an homage to Slayer at the end of it which is more like direct theft than a tribute.
Please go and have a listen or 50 and tell your friends and family about it if you don’t want them to ever speak to you again.
It’s on Google Play Music, Spotify and a host of other music streaming platforms I can’t be arsed to find the links to.

Cheers, uke hunters.

You can follow me on Twitter or Facebook if you want. No pressure.


No comments:

Post a Comment